I am a huge sucker for home cooked meals. I love homemade meals the best and I love being able to know exactly what my family is eating! There are times when it isn't possible to make a meal from scratch, or when "cooking from scratch" means eggs and toast are for dinner. Believe me, I am not perfect. But a couple of times a week I like to whip up a tasty and delicious homemade meal for my family!
We love Mexican food and I love enchiladas, but I am so often disappointed that almost every enchilada recipe calls for "cream of something" soup. I am not completely objected to cream-of-something soup...it has it's place, occasionally. But generally, I really don't care for recipes that call for it.
So I was thrilled to find McCormick's recipe for Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas that not only looked simple, but also looked delicious! Best of all it does not include cream-of-anything soup! Wahoo!! So, I was even MORE thrilled when McCormick asked me to share this recipe with you!
My family LOVED this recipe and I know you will love it too!
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 packets McCormick's Enchilada Seasoning Mix
- 3.5 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4.5 oz chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 Tbs oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips or shredded
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 bell peppers, cut into thin strips*
- 10 flour tortillas (8")
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine Seasoning Mix and milk in saucepan over the stove. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Mix sour cream and chilies into milk mixture and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbs oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned. Remove from skillet.**
- Add remaining 1 Tbs oil in the skillet and cook peppers and onion about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Return chicken to skillet and add ½ cup sauce. Stir.
- Spread ½ cup sauce in the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.***
- Heat tortillas according to package directions and divide chicken mixture evenly among the tortillas.
- Roll the tortillas and place seam-side down in the pan.
- Pour remaining sauce over tortillas and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 40 minutes or until they are heated throughly and the cheese is melted.
*I used one medium pepper (red) plus one small pepper (orange) in my recipe.
**I precooked my chicken in the crock pot and shredded it so that my chicken was prepared ahead of time.
***And because we are a small family of 4, I divided this recipe into (2) 8x8 pans and froze one pan to eat later. One pan was perfect for our family, so I am glad I did this!
My whole family LOVED this recipe!
I especially love that it has a similar taste to enchiladas with a traditional red sauce, without being quite so overwhelming. And I love the flavor and creamy texture that the sour cream adds to these as well. These are really a great combination of a white and red enchilada!
This recipe is not skimpy on sauce at all which makes them so tasty in my opinion!
My husband loved them and even my children ate them without complaint! Hurray! Dinner was a success!
These are definitely my favorite enchiladas recipe I have found yet! And these will definitely be going in my recipe box to make again!
And now it's time to enter to WIN your own McCormick Spice Gift Set!
Here is how to enter to WIN:
Giveaway will end October 18, 2013, 11:59pm EST.
Winner will be announced on this blog post, but if you leave your email address in your comment, I will notify the winner by email also! Winner will have 48 hours upon announcement to claim their prize or another winner will be chose.
*Winning entries will be verified. Odds of winning are based on number of entrants. Winner for prize package will be chosen randomly using Random.org. Winner must be 18 years of age or older and a US citizen with a US mailing address in order to win. Winner is responsible for paying any necessary taxes on winnings. All prizes will be mailed / emailed / fulfilled by the sponsor and the blog owner (s) involved are not held responsible if the prize is not fulfilled. A list of winners may be requested after the giveaway has ended. Please email me with any questions or to obtain additional information at: simplydesigning @ gmail (dot) com *