Yum! I L.O.V.E lemon. I am on a bit of a lemon kick recently, but I will try to spread the posts out so I don't burn you out on lemon foods!
I recently found this recipe for Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies and knew I just had to try it.
They are impressively yummy.
I ate 4 right away.
Then I had to give the rest away so I didn't finish them all off! Because I would have eaten them all. But I still have baby-weight to get rid off...so I gave them away.
But I am a little sad as I am typing this that I don't have any more left in my house to eat...they were so good.
Ok. Without further ado...here is the recipe for these de.li.cious Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies:
- ¼ cup lemon juice (I used the kind from a bottle, but go to town with real lemons if you like!)
- 3 ½ teaspoons lemon zest (I use the dried lemon zest...simplier in my opinion)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (I confess, I only ever buy salted butter. They turned out just fine with the salted butter.)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, bring lemon juice to a simmer over medium heat; cook until reduced by half. Add 1 stick butter and stir until melted. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream 1 stick butter and 1 cup sugar on medium speed. Mix in 1 egg and the lemon butter mixture from step 2. Mix about 3 minutes on medium. Add in 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 2 teaspoons of lemon zest and mix. Then add in flour mixture and poppy seeds. Mix until blended.
- In a seperate bowl, stir together remaining ½ cup sugar and 1 ½ teaspoons zest.
- Roll spoonfuls of dough into 1 inch balls; roll them in sugar mixture. Then place them 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Press each dough roll with the flat end of a glass dipped in sugar mixture until they are about ¼ inch thick. Sprinkle the cookies with additional poppy seeds.
- Bake until just browned around bottom edges, about 8 minutes for my oven.
- Send all cookies to Simply Designing! 🙂
Ok. I am just kidding about #8. You won't want to share them. And I don't blame you!
(original recipe found here)
I participate in the link parties found here.