I LOVE candied nuts in salads.
My husband LOVES candied nuts in salads or just by the handful.
Several months ago I bought a very small bag of candied nuts for a salad for about $6. They were expensive in my opinion, but they were so delicious.
Then, my husband found the remaining nuts. And finished them off in less then 5 minutes.
He said “Hun! We should get some more of those nuts! Those were really good!”
I replied, “Yes. And you just downed $5 of nuts in one handful.”
Hm. Call me cheap, but that is an expensive bag of nuts to just sit and eat like candy.
So, I set out to candy my own and discovered how simple (and inexpensive!) it really is!
- 1/2 c any type of nuts
- 1/3 c of granulated sugar (can use more or less to preferred taste)
- Put sugar in a small pan or pot over the stove and heat on medium – medium/high heat.
- Sugar will start to melt and brown. Stir often and watch carefully. You can burn sugar very easily.
BE VERY CAREFUL! Melted sugar is EXTREMELY hot. I learned this the hard way, not thinking clearly, I touched the melted sugar to “taste-test” it. I have a HUGE blister on said finger from the bad burn I got from it. Ouch. So, please, be careful not to come in contact with the sugar.
- Once all sugar is melted, turn the heat off and add the nuts in, stirring well to coat all nuts.
- Spread nuts out of wax paper (I put my wax paper on a cookie sheet to keep the heat off of my counters.) and separate nuts using two forks working quickly as sugar will harden fast.
- Let cool. Break into smaller pieces if desired.
- Enjoy on a yummy salad or by the handful 🙂
I participate in the link parties found here.