Every once in a while I find a recipe that truly inspires me! And recently I found a delicious brownie cookie recipe that was delicious. I love brownies. But I decided that these would be perfect, with a minty peppermint frosting filling. And so I created these really tasty and beautifully delicious Brownie Peppermint Whoopie Pies!
These whoopie pies turned out really yummy and very festive. Perfect to deliver to neighbors, take to that last minute cookie exchange or bring to the last day of work at the office before your holiday break! Here’s the how-to:
Brownie Peppermint Whoopie Pies
Brownie Cookie Ingredients: (inspired by Classy Cooking)
- 1 pkg brownie mix (approx 18 oz)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- crushed peppermint candy canes
Peppermint Icing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 tsp crushed and sifted candy cane
- 1 Tbs + water
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare and bake the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together brownie mix, flour, brown sugar and salt.
- Add eggs and milk and stir.
- Add melted butter, vanilla extract, stir until well blended.
- Drop dough onto a greased cookie sheet or use parchment paper.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, make the icing recipe.
- Prepare icing:
- Beat butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes
- Add vanilla, water whipping cream, and salt.
- Whip on high until fluffy, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Continue to add water, one tsp at a time until icing consistency is perfect.
- When cookies are completely cool, ice the bottom of one cookie with a generous amount of icing.
- Place another cookie on top of the icing, forming a cookie sandwich
- Roll edges of icing in crushed candy cane