When I was little we used to grow red rhubarb and my mom used to make the most delicious chilled Rhubarb soup. Well I called it soup, but it was served as a cold fruity soup-like dessert, or sometimes as a sauce over ice cream! Yum! I remember it being so incredibly delicious so when I found red rhubarb at my local U-Pick farm, I knew I needed to grab a pound and create something delicious with it! I took my mom’s basic recipe but then let it chill and it created the most amazing dessert ever: Rhubarb Sorbet!
It is beautiful to look at, rich, creamy, sweet and so incredibly delicious! If you love fruity sorbets you will definitely love this! It is really quite simple to make and it is definitely a healthier alternative to all the ice cream I like to eat! So if you happen to be able to buy or grow red rhubarb, pin this recipe, and then go grab some to create your own!
- 1 lb rhubarb
- 1-2 cups water (enough to barely cover the rhubarb)
- 1/2 – 1 cup sugar (to taste)
- Clean and cut the rhubarb stalks into approximately 1″ slices.
- Place water, rhubarb and sugar into a medium size pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Allow to simmer until rhubarb is very soft.
- Use an immersion blender to blend and smooth the mixture.
- Place in a container and freeze thoroughly.
Serve and enjoy!
It only took a few minutes to throw this together and a few hours to chill. But the result was a creamy and delicious fruit sorbet that was bursting with amazing flavor!
You can top this with a little fresh mint, or even a few strawberries! Or for a more decadent treat, add a touch of hot fudge! Just eat it fast before it melts.
You might also enjoy:
This post appeared first on Simply Designing. All blog posts, text and images are subject to my Privacy and Use Policy here.